Concrete Driveways: Why They’re Such a Popular Option for Homes
Driveways are something people often ignore, and they are usually not a topic that comes up for discussion over dinner. However, this part of your property is important to maintain and upkeep, especially if you use a vehicle and care about the overall appearance and aesthetics of your property.
Home driveway surfaces are important because they uplift the look of your home. With the proper choice of materials, your driveway can look expensive and well kept. Moreover, the driveway in your home adds to your home’s overall curb appeal since it all starts with the driveway.
There are many different types of materials to use for driveway surfaces to include:
- Many others
Different Types of Driveways
First of all, it is important to understand that there are two types of driveway types: smooth and aggregate. The smooth surface type then you commonly see on driveways is asphalt. The aggregate type and least expensive type of driveway is asphalt. One amazing feature about concrete is, that it comes in both types which make it perfect for any driveway design.
When it comes to specific types of driveways, there are:
- Decomposed granite driveways
- Concrete driveways
- Two-coat gravel driveways
- Hot mix asphalt driveways
Benefits of Concrete Driveway Surfaces
Here are a few of the benefits of installing a concrete driveway:
- Concrete driveways are affordable, long-lasting and appealing
- There is a wide range of options to choose from when using this material
- Easily create the appearance that looks expensive
- Can be dyed and stamped
- Highly durable and aesthetically appealing
- Holds up better over time
- Will not sink when expertly-installed
- Prevents insects, weeds, or grass from taking over
In addition, the concrete driveway is the most cost-friendly in the long-term and you can rely on it to be durable, low maintenance and versatile. No matter what part of the country you live in, you will find the right option that is suitable for your home. Also, the design of your driveway can range from simple and traditional to elaborate and decorative with any colour and texture range at your disposal.
Questions and Considerations Before You Install
Here are some key factors to consider before you choose the type of concrete driveway you want and begin your project:
For any home driveway project, proper budget considerations are going to determine whether your project is a success. Your installation cost will be determined using a variety of factors to include:
- Driveway dimensions
- Paving material
- Design elements such as lighting and curbs
- Drainage features
- Adjacent landscaping
- Labour costs
Do you want to have good curb appeal? If the answer is yes, then you should take a look at the prevailing types of driveways that you can see the neighbours installed. This way, you can determine what is the right fit for your property.
With concrete, you really have the opportunity to stick to your own personal tastes and let your inner designer speak to you. Concrete gives you the chance to explore a variety of designs that many people think or consider are pricier options because of their elegant appearances.
- Shape and Design
Every project is different so if you are starting your driveway from scratch, then you will need to plan the shape and course. Most driveway designs are straightforward and include either squarish or rectangular pads alongside one another. You will also find this common design alongside, streetside or on the back of homes. Most driveways are designed with the intention to fit at least one standard passenger car.
Most Common Type of Driveways
In Australia and throughout the world, the most popular and most common type of driveway is made from gravel. One of the main reasons this material is so popular and widely used for driveways is because of its cost. Gravel is a widely available material and one of the most affordable solutions to design a driveway. One feature with gravel is that it comes in different colours which can complement your home’s specific style by giving it a customized look.
Advantages of Aggregate Driveways
- Cheapest material. Aggregate is the lowest cost driveway material.
- Low Maintenance. Once the material has settled, there is very little maintenance required. The only work that is usually required such as some occasional filling and spreading to remove bumps and rutting.
- Extremely durable. With regular maintenance and proper drainage, you can make sure that your driveway will last a few decades. When you go with asphalt driveways, they often need resurfacing. Unlike concrete which retains its durability over time without the need to shell out more money, asphalt is less durable and increases your overall ownership costs.
- Safer material for the environment. Concrete aggregates are usually derived from nature because it is oftentimes just crushed rock. Crushed concrete and asphalt have synthetic components at times, so it is best to avoid them when considering the environment. In addition, aggregate allows water to drain easily since it is naturally porous. When there is a storm, the water sinks directly into it which means the water eventually makes its way down to the aquifer; not remain on the surface, runoff and pollute the local surface water.
Why is Exposed Aggregate Commonly Recommended for Driveways?
Exposed aggregate is often recommended for driveways for the following reasons:
- Comes in a wide selection of colours
- Superior ability to provide grip
- Maintains integrity on sloped and uneven ground
Recommended Choices for Driveway Surfaces
Within our Limecrete and Holcim range, we recommend both smooth and aggregate surfaces for most common driveways. For driveways on slopes, hills, and uneven surfaces, we recommend an aggregate surface is because this surface will allow for more traction and prevents slips and falls. For driveways in flatter areas, smooth surfaces can provide an elegant look and increase the value of your home.
When you contact the Decorative Concrete WA team, they will be able to provide you with before and after samples of previous driveway instalment work. In addition, they are also able to recommend the best materials that are tailored for each project to maximise safety and durability. At the same time, they are able to create stunning looks that are unique for every property.
Want a Great Looking Driveway?
Nobody wants a driveway that has a bunch of cracks, is uneven or just ruins the entire façade of your home or building. A great-looking driveway is important because it shows that you care about your home as soon as you enter the property.
The Decorative Concrete WA team understands your needs for a stunning, new driveway and can actually walk you through step-by-step from start to finish when it comes to any kind of concrete driveway project. You can also see a full-scale project they completed to add an exposed aggregate driveway to a high-end property in Doubleview. We have a video on it and it describes:
- The product. This particular part is very important because it shows you how the Decorative Concrete WA team takes to time to specifically tailor every project to maximize safety and durability. Furthermore, it gives an actual case sample of a sloped driveway and how the factors led to the decision to its superior ability to grip, its wide selection of colours and the Decorative Concrete WA team’s skilled ability to maintain the integrity of the concrete.
- Product challenges. For every project, there are a unique set of challenges that are specific to your home and it is up to the DCWA team to make sure that they are overcome so that the job is done right with superior quality and complete customer satisfaction. Some common challenges include weather, sloped surfaces, and coordination with other contractors working in close proximity.
Get an Expertly-Crafted Driveway with DCWA
When someone visits your home, your driveway is going to be the first thing that appears. You can choose from some of the best materials such as exposed aggregate, honed aggregate, standard grey concrete and so much more. You will not have to worry about maintenance and rely on superior durability that will set your driveway and the overall façade of your property apart from everyone else.
Getting a driveway installed is easy when you contact the Decorative Concrete WA team to discuss any of their concreting services. You can get a free quote with no obligation and they will usually get back to you within 24 hours. They do not accept walk-in appointments but you can reach them by phone, email, Facebook or Instagram.
DCWA is all about driveways and the word is getting out in Australia about their expert craftsmanship, step-by-step process, their Satisfaction Guarantee, and meeting and exceeding expectations. You cannot find a better source in Australia that strives to meet the demand for driveways and decorative concrete surfaces for residential and commercial properties.