The Pros and Cons of Liquid Limestone
- April 5, 2019
- Category: Benefits of Decorative Concrete
Liquid Limestone – Very Popular for Driveways and Alfresco Areas
If you are in the midst of build or a big re-do for your home, you know that you need to make many decisions. Among the choices, you will need to make the ground material you would like integrated into the project. While there are many options to consider, liquid limestone could be the best choice.
What is Liquid Limestone?
Liquid limestone is a pourable mixture of crushed limestone and cement. Frequently, while preparing the mixture, some plasticiser is incorporated to reduce the need for excess water while pouring. As paving and flooring material, we use it often in Western Australia. It compliments urban, suburban, and rural setting because of its versatility. To further understand the properties of Limestone itself we recommend reading the information on this page
Is Liquid Limestone Durable and do I Need to Seal it?
Liquid limestone is stronger than concrete so it will hold up well for years to come. About a week after pouring your liquid limestone, the company you are working with should send a team to seal the liquid limestone surfaces.
Will Liquid Limestone Harm my Yard or Pets?
Crushed limestone mixed with cement is safe for use around family pets and also will not harm any small animals who reside in your flower bed, garden, or yard. After pouring liquid limestone, any living plants or grasses in very close proximity could die. Many people who have liquid limestone say that removing unwanted grasses and weeds as well as eliminating pests like ants are great bonuses that come with liquid limestone.
How do I Clean my Liquid Limestone Surfaces?
Maintenance on a properly sealed liquid limestone surface is not complicated. Use a pressure washer as often as you feel is necessary but at least twice a year. This will keep the surface beautiful and free of stains. If you choose to, adding a sprinkle of pool chlorine before you pressure wash will help eliminate any mould or algae that try to make a home in your new driveway. For more in-depth cleaning, go over the chlorine with a stiff long-handled scrubbing brush before you pressure wash.
When using a pressure washer be sure to:
- Wear goggles to keep your eyes safe.
- You should avoid being overly aggressive with your pressure washer. Over time, this could result in minor breaks in the sealant which will expose your limestone to the elements.
Can I use Environmentally Friendly Cleaners on my Liquid Limestone?
What are the Selling Points of Liquid Limestone?
Many excellent qualities make liquid limestone a spot-on choice for many homes and places of business. These include:
- Liquid limestone looks fresh and a little unique. This sets the surfaces it is covering apart from others. Many people believe that liquid limestone offers a more Mediterranean look than traditional concrete
- Liquid limestone resists staining because of the sealant, and it cleans easily. Although, all spills that could become stains need your attention as soon as possible.
- There are many uses for liquid limestone, and people love its versatility. It looks as beautiful inside your home or office as it does on the outside.
- Using liquid limestone in outdoor spaces such as walkways, alfresco areas, and pool surrounds will enhance more than just how the areas look. Liquid limestone also makes your outdoor environment more comfortable.
- Liquid limestone does not absorb the heat from sunlight the same way other materials do. Unlike other popular pool and alfresco choices, such as exposed aggregate, liquid limestone is more comfortable for bare feet.
Are There any Negative Aspects of Liquid Limestone?
While liquid limestone is an exceptional material that enhances a wide variety of spaces, it is not without a few drawbacks.
- Liquid limestone does not take colour as well as other types of decorative paving materials. If bold colour is a must for your project, consider different types of materials to use in its place.
- Liquid limestone is cooler and more comfortable for outdoor walkways, pool surrounds, and alfresco areas than other materials. However, liquid limestone can gather mould and algae. We see this particular problem when the liquid limestone is in very shaded areas. Thorough cleaning on a regular basis will keep the unwanted bits away.
- Liquid limestone costs a bit more than plain grey concrete. However, it brings an abundance of useful properties to a project; many people feel it is worth the slight price increase.